Challenge: 10 Things About Me
on 4.07.2008. Filed under: memSo, I've been challenged by the Queen herself to write 10 things about myself. This should be interesting....
1. I am 100% addicted to Diet Coke and Starbucks.
2. I have a key collection. Yep, I do. When I was young my parents would pack up my sister and I for a fun day of antiquing. Today, I would love to be able to spend a whole day browsing little eclectic antique shops. But when I was 9, it was a nightmare. One day I found an old skeleton key in the glass case under the register and asked my parents to buy it for me. I think it was $1. From then on antiquing was somewhat fun. I would walk through each shop, looking for my little treasures. I still have every key. Here are few of them...
3. Since I can remember, I have always dreamt about getting certified in SCUBA and settling on a remote little island in the Caribbean to live and run dive tours. I know, crazy. But to this day, it is still on the top of my list. When I was 16 the thought of spending the day in a little bikini, exploring the bottom of the ocean sounded like heaven. 3 kids and 15 years later the thought of a bikini makes me cringe but exploring the bottom of the ocean still intrigues me. My dream may not be possible with the responsibilities of a family but I still love the dream.
Here's how I've always pictured it. I climb into a worn out Jeep and drive inland to pick up adventurous travelers at the end of a little grass runway. As I hand them a beer, we throw their backpacks in the back and get on our way. Driving down a bumpy dirt road, to my sea side shop, I tell them about the history of the island. The next day I take them on an adventure they have always dreamed of, diving peacefully into a different world that many will never see. Days are filled with hammock naps and cervezas in the sand. It simply sounds perfect to me.
4.Krysta may be the Queen of Capture but I am the Queen of Ideas. I am always coming up with crazy ideas. One of the most memorable ideas was "Nail Slippers" which were little pink slippers that fit on your fingernails to protect your french manicure from turning yellow when you went in a tanning bed. This was a solution to a problem Nicole was having. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't get manicures or use the tanning booth very often. We actually made little hot pink prototypes with rhinestones and scheduled a meeting with two attorneys in Minneapolis. Those poor guys didn't know what hit them. We spent two hours asking questions about the patent process and acting very professional. At the end of the meeting we definitely understood what it would take to get a patent but weren't really sure we had a million dollar idea so we didn't go ahead with it. It was fun though!
5. I would love to run a marathon. I'm somewhat obsessed with the idea. I think about it everyday. I've bought books, downloaded training podcasts, researched it online...the list is endless. One problem, I can't even run a mile. Yet, I still think there's enough time to train for the Twin Cities marathon this fall. Seriously, I am delusional. Maybe I should start training for a simple 5K. Tomorrow.
6. There is this little thing the Latte Queens call "the zone". It's a place not many people get to experience but once you've been there, you'll never forget it. When you're in "the zone" strange, strange things occur. Metro buses run over your most favorite zebra purse. You kick in your bathroom door because there is a toxic mixture of bleach and draino overflowing from the toilet and you've dropped the one and only key inside. A hair dresser (reminiscent of Mr. Miyagi )tells you that you're "definitely old enough to have gray hair". You see, it's a place where...even though you were there...you don't even believe it happened. It's been soooooo long since I've been in the zone. I'm waiting for it to pull me back in!
7. I would love to road trip across the US in a big old convertible Cadillac.
8. I have finally realized that I cannot waterski anymore! Every year on the 4th of July, I strap on my slalom ski and head out to prove that I can still do it. Last year I made it up after 4 or 5 times. Once I was up, staying up was a challenge. The boat headed down towards North Shore and every muscle in my body was aching. As the boat turned around and headed to our dock I thought that I should give the crowd on shore a good show. So, as we neared the dock, I cut the wake and cartwheeled head first into the water. The ski slammed into my forehead leaving me deflated, embarrassed and with a huge goose-egg in the center of my forehead. As I climbed into the boat, my dear friend Nicole was announcing to everyone, "She use to be the best on the lake!" Please, friends, do not let me try that EVER again. Here is the picture Rob's brother took of the disaster.
9. "Robi-sieta" my one and only sister holds a very special place in my heart. She is 100% there for me. Always. No questions asked. With her petite little frame, barely 95lbs, she can wrangle a class of 3 year olds better than anyone. She is the most caring person I have ever known. She loves my children as if they were her own and is always so willing to help us out. I admire her strength and perseverance.
10. I.G. Instant Gratification. Describes me perfectly. I even open the mail while I stand at the curb. I just can't wait.
Is that 10? Sigh. I'm done. Thank you Queen Cas for the challenge. It was actually fun. I don't often sit and stroll down memory lane or think about what makes me - me. So, thank you. Your challenge is in the works. (Seriously girl, we need more blogger friends!) --MCNR


April 7, 2008 at 2:39 PM
11. I'm the creator of the Asphalt Angel.
April 7, 2008 at 10:23 PM
Oh I love it!! So well written McNair..you can't say you're not a good writer...you'd be lying! The part about the metro city bus and the demise of a zebra purse had me laaaughing out loud!! I love love love the whole thing!!