WWII Blood Dollar

on 1.31.2009.




My Grandpa Joe was a soldier in WWII. When I was a little girl I remember going over to my Grandparent's house and sitting on Grandpa's lap as he explained each one of his medals. They were all framed and Grandma would bring them out every time one of the Grandchildren would ask to see them. Included in the frame was the bullet that went through his leg as he jumped into Germany.

Last year on the 4th of July, Kim brought over something that none of us had ever seen before. My Grandpa's blood brother dollar. It's a 1935 one dollar bill with markings all over it. Grandma told us that Grandpa Joe and his buddies all marked the bill with a spot of their blood and then signed it. Gulp. Just writing that gives me chills. Recently, my mom sent me an electronic copy of the dollar and I was able to enlarge it and read the markings. I found there was more than just names.

The face side reads:
U.S.A Jan 21 - 45
Germany March 29 - 45
Belgium May 3 - 45
(there are more places and dates but I can't make them out)

Jumped the
Rhine River
Germany
March 24 - 45

Wounded
March 29 1945

The back side reads:

James Karriger
Edwin (can't read last name)
Bob (can't read last name)
Jack (can't read last name)
John Stewart
E. (can't read first name) Riley

1 Response to WWII Blood Dollar

  1. Suzicus-Quzicus

    This is still so interesting and we have to get back to researching it soon ! Why I don't get on that I don't know....ugggggggg procrastination I guess. Had fun yesterday at coffee although I did not feel the best all day, came home and took a name before the party.

    Love MOM